Saturday, August 14, 2004

Patience Pays. 1 Mile To Passing.

I don’t know if you’ve ever seen the road sign that says, “Patience pays. 1 mile to passing.” The only time I’ve seen it is while traveling along Highway 1 from Key West to Miami. It’s mostly a two-lane road, and I guess there are a lot of road rage induced head on collisions with people getting frustrated by slow poke drivers. Ever since my ranting post on Wednesday this phrase has been repeating itself over and over inside my broken brain.

I think one of the lessons the Universe is attempting to teach me is to be more patient and I’ve come to realiz that sometimes I just don’t have a lot of it. While focusing on the concept of patience, I realized that my broken brain isn’t the only thing currently happening in my life that I need to be patient about. Come to think of it, I really think the Universe is trying to slam home a point. {{giggles}}

My introspection is showing me that one of my strongest coping mechanisms is action. When I’m unhappy about something or have a problem, I formulate a plan and then work on the execution. Typically this has always meant immediate action to get me out of what is making me uncomfortable or unhappy.

I’m attempting to change the picture I have of problem solving and look at it more like goal setting. I’m realizing that it’s okay to look farther down the road; stay in an uncomfortable place for a little while longer--so that I can get to an even better resolution--than to take quick action that might result in less effective results. In other words, “Patience pays.”

Thankfully, I’m feeling much better and am actually impressed with how fast I’ve kicked this cold. Go body, go! I know that my body is getting stronger and that I’m on the road to getting healthier. It’s really not such a bad thing to take the process of getting healthy slowly to ensure that I do it right than to push it and cause more problems down the road.

Today’s happy accident: My broken brain is helping me learn to be patient.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home